For some reason, I rarely revisit a pattern once I've sewn it (unless it's a wardrobe staple like a dress shirt or something like pajamas). I recently started wondering why and I was unable to come up with an answer, so I decided it was time I started. Couple this with a cute a border-print in my stash, and it seemed like Simplicity 2886 was going to be sewn again.
The fabric is Vintage Pumpkins from Daisy Kingdom. I have been unable to find a good picture online (or any picture, for that matter). I bought it on eBay sometime last year. I don't recall ever using a border-print fabric for a garment before. I've been seeing a lot of cute border-print sundresses around the office, and remembered this one in my stash, so I figured I would give it my own spooky spin.
You might recall that this pattern was made into the Space Invaders dress (view C). The gripes and complaints I had about it then still stand, but this view (A), was easier because it does not have the pleated band, gathering, or elastic. However, it does have even more pleats than view C. I rated C as intermediate, but I think A could be tackled by an advanced beginner.
The only alterations I made were to shorten the straps (as usual), and lengthen the dress significantly (as usual). I omitted the pockets, just like I did last time.
I wasn't particularly happy with how the front band turned out. The pumpkins are too tall for the piece, so I tried to highlight the vines instead. The pumpkins are at different heights, so I felt that it made the band look lopsided. A contrast band might have looked better, but it didn't bother me enough to change it. It might not be perfect, but it's good enough.
I wore this to a friend's house last weekend, and asked his son (who is three) if he knew what you call pumpkins when you carve them up for Halloween. He was very adamant that the answer was "pie", and I can't say that he's wrong.