Monday, November 5, 2012

Orange You Glad I Didn't Say Banana?

Happy Guy Fawkes Day to those of you who like to burn things.

I'm late to the party.  I intended to post for the Sophistique Noir theme of hosiery.  After all, I have a rather large collection of it.  My first outfit was soaked by Hurricane Sandy and photography problems plagued the second.  The third fit the bill nicely, but one thing led to another...  Anyway, I'm still posting this, even though it is late.

A friend of mine has taken up photography as a hobby and thought it would be fun to do a cemetery photoshoot.  I am certainly the spookiest person she knows, so I was the first she asked.  Though graveyard pictures are something of a rite of passage in the goth community, I had never done it.  I'm all for being pretentious and dressing up, so of course I said yes.

I can't remember where I bought these tights.  Maybe Target?  They're thick fuzzy winter tights, which mostly seem to come in solid colors, and boring ones at that.  When I saw the orange and black striped pair, I knew they had to be mine.

The shirt I made.  It's Butterick 4609.  I made view C, the French cuffs version, because my husband gave me garnet coffin cufflinks one year for our anniversary.   (He got them from Pushin Daisies.  There is no image of the garnet links currently, but here is the onyx pair.)  The fabric is from JoAnn's Halloween collection.  It seems to be a perennial favorite and is currently on sale.

This pattern features princess seams (darts), buttonholes, and interfaced collar and cuffs.  It's a good beginner pattern, and was actually one of the first patterns I ever used, way back in the day.  I would recommend this as a first garment to a beginner.


Cape: a gift from my sister-in-law, who was cleaning out her closet
Skirt: thrift store
Shoes: Famous Footwear
Earrings: Claire's for the danglies and Etsy for the studs
Hair flower: JoAnn's and I hot glued a barrette on the back
Parasol: a black umbrella I hand-sewed some lace onto


UPDATE (11/11/2012): If you would like to see the rest of the pictures from this photoshoot, please send me an email at spookyseamstress AT gmail DOT com.  She is not a professional photographer and I am not a professional model, so please be gentle on us.

5 comments:

  1. The blouse and tights are perfect together! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures! :) Makes me want to go visit a nice graveyard! ^_^ And the outfit is amazing! Love how you've matched the blouse and the tights! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both! Though it is a fashion faux pas, I very much like wearing horizontal and vertical stripes together. After all, it's only a faux pas because someone else said it was, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm all for the horizontal and vertical stripe combo! These photos look like such fun. I'd love to have the link!

    ReplyDelete