I had Dem Bones by Carol Elridge (in green and purple) sitting around in my stash, waiting for a project perfect for it. C Girl and I thought this would do quite nicely; we planned on purple for the outside and green for the lining. I laid out the pattern on the fabric and... I discovered I did not have enough. I tried all the twists and tricks I know, but I could not get the pattern to squeeze into the smaller fabric without separating the pattern pieces. The main body (top, long sides and bottom) is all supposed to be one piece. I split that one piece into a top, sides, and a bottom. I then did all the sides in purple and the top and bottom in green. The front pocket is in purple and the side pockets (the pattern called for one, but I did two) is in green. I found a fun, sparkly bat print at JoAnn's that mostly matched and used that for the lining and handles.
|Side view with zippered pocket|
To give the bag shape, the pattern calls for quilt batting. That's all well and good, but there was no interfacing at all in this pattern. I reinforced the bottom anyway; I've made bags like this in the past, and it is utterly necessary.
|Side view, sagging disturbingly|
So, is it fair to call this a pattern review? I only kind of used the pattern and only kind of used the instructions. If I had followed the instructions and had enough fabric, the project would have been much easier, but I couldn't stand for those exposed seams. If that doesn't bother you, then the only bit that's difficult is the side pockets. Due to the way the zipper is installed and the pleats, It's trickier to do than it appears. Machines with weak motors might have some difficulty getting through the layers of batting. So if your machine is strong enough and you don't mind exposed seams, then this is a good pattern for a beginner. If the seams bother you, then I would bump the difficulty level up to advanced beginner or intermediate.