Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Contest: The Big Reveal

Happy Halloween and Merry Samhain!  After a week of hints and numerous great guesses, I am pleased to reveal my costume.



I was Jareth, the Goblin King from Labyrinth.  On the left is the costume I attempted to reproduce.  Jareth wears it in the As the World Falls Down/ballroom scene.  It's a good thing I really like that song, because I had to watch it for reference quite a bit.

I'm not sure why I picked this particular outfit.  Jareth wears about eight or nine different outfits in the movie, all of a very similar style, but this one particularly struck a chord with me.

You guys are good.  Several people were correct, but C Girl's Life guessed the answer first, on Day 3.  And I was afraid that no one would get it.  C Girl, please contact me at spookyseamstress AT gmail DOT com regarding your prize.

Since there were so many guesses, I will also be picking a random winner, which I will announce today or tomorrow.

The patterns I used were all Simplicity: 2172, 3629, 3685, and 4077.  Reviews to come.

Thanks to everyone who participated.  I hope you had as much fun as I did.  I'll definitely do this again next year.

12 comments:

  1. This is the greatest thing I have ever seen!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came very close to doing the same costume- except I was going to go with the "Magic Dance" outfit.

    "Nothing? Nothing? Nothing, tra la la?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to get my hubby to be Magic Dance Jareth, but he isn't as much of a fan as dressing up as I am.

      Delete
  3. That's a LOVELY costume, I especially love the vest. Will you be able to wear any of it again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely plan on wearing the blouse again, and maybe the vest. I was thinking I would never wear the coat again, but I have a sparky black and blue velvet tank top it might look nice with.

      Delete
  4. Awesome!! You did an amazing job. I think I like this better than the original, even. I'd wear that blouse any day of the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. High praise indeed! The only drawback of the blouse is that the fabric is synthetic, so it doesn't breathe well. Worth it anyway.

      Delete
  5. You have amazing skills! Each piece is great on its own. All together... fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Coming from another sewist, that means a lot!

      Delete
  6. love the costume, love the film ^^
    was wondering what elements you took from each pattern, as it only looks like a three piece and there are 4 patterns listed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.

      I used two patterns for the coat: 2172 and 3685. You can find more info on the post covering the coat: http://cuzisaidsew.blogspot.com/2012/11/jareth-ii-coat.html

      Delete