Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Grim Grinning Ghosts

Anyone who has followed this blog for any length of time has probably already figured out that I am a GIANT NERD.  (It's kind of a requirement for a software engineer.)  While I definitely have the typical nerdy obsessions (like last week's Ms Pac-Man dress), I also obsess over spooky things as well.  Disney's Haunted Mansion is one of those things.

I had been planning on making myself a skirt featuring the Haunted Mansion wallpaper for a while.  I do have an embroidery machine, but embroidering enough fabric for a skirt was not a something I wanted to do.  My next thought was using a fabric stencil.  I went far enough to cut the stencil out of wax paper, but I lost so much detail in the faces that I just gave up.  I decided I would just embroider a couple of large faces on the fabric and be done with it.  I cut out the fabric for the skirt and it's been sitting in my sewing room for over a year, waiting for me to get around to it.

And then DoomBuggies made an announcement on their Facebook page: Spoonflower had a fabric with the wallpaper design.  It isn't cheap, but I couldn't resist, and bought three yards.  And that meant digging through the pattern collection to find a dress that used approximately three yards of fabric.  The winner was McCall's 6071, a Laura Ashley design, in view B.  (This makes four McCall patterns in a row, the last two of which were Laura Ashley.  This was unintentional, but now makes me wonder how long I can keep this going.)  This view actually calls for 3 1/8 yards of fabric, but considering the feat I pulled off last time, I figured I could do it again.

(Note: if you're even a slight fan of the Haunted Mansion, prepare to lose an afternoon at the DoomBuggies site. And if that still doesn't sate you, head over to Long Forgotten for even more info.)

By not lengthening the skirt, I managed to pull off getting the dress in three yards.  I picked contrasting black bands for the straps and tie.  I did this partially to skimp on the fabric and partially to break up the pattern.

I'm not sure what you'd call this color.  It isn't quite blue, and it isn't quite purple.  I suppose that would make it indigo, right?  But indigo is usually darker than this, so I'm proclaiming that this color will forevermore be called blurpligo.  Blurpligo is a hard color to match.  This thread is periwinkle, and while it is in the same color family, it isn't quite dark enough.  But it was the closest I could find.  (NB: I didn't try all that hard.)  As for the zipper, nothing was close.  It was a choice between this purple and lilac.  In retrospect, black or white probably would have been better.

So, as for the pattern itself, it's fairly straightforward.  The bodice has some gathering, but otherwise there's nothing particularly tricky or uncommon here.  The way the straps are attached makes it easier to lengthen or shorten them as need be.  This does make construction a bit trickier, because you need to leave holes for the straps.  I would say this is good for an advanced beginner.

The tie is sewn on over the gathering.  I think I actually prefer it untied, and if I made this again, I probably would have made it longer.

While I like how the dress turned out, I was a bit disappointed by the fabric.  It's thin and a bit scratchy. When I washed it, the blurpligo faded a bit unevenly.  I would have to really be in love with a fabric to buy from them again.






11 comments:

  1. Wow, I love the colour blurpligo!

    What a shame it faded unevenly! I might have to ask around if I plan on getting any Spoonflower and see if anyone else has had these fading problems! Maybe if depends on if you are making a wash or non wash item.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fading didn't bother me enough to not wear the dress. I'm justifying it to myself by saying that a haunted house would be a bit run down, so you would expect the wallpaper to be distressed. Not an ideal situation, but I suppose I can live with that.

      Delete
  2. Well, that's a shame that the fabric faded unevenly, and also that it's scratchy. There's nothing worse than scratchy fabric, IMHO. And I know that Spoonflower fabrics are waaaay expensive, so I'm glad you mentioned this because I'll certainly think twice about ordering from them now.

    That being said, it is a REALLY cute dress! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It isn't so scratchy that I can't wear the dress. I have pretty sensitive skin, so it might be okay for those that don't. That being said, I am definitely going to think twice about ordering from them again. Nothing short of TARDIS fabric is going to cut it.

      Delete
    2. That pun was unintentional. The coffee hasn't kicked in yet.

      Delete
  3. Too bad the fabric is scratchy. I always worry a bit when I order fabric online because there's no way to know how it will feel. The dress is cute! Another plus in the Laura Ashley column. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I haven't had too much trouble with scratchiness from ordering online, except for this (which isn't bad enough to stop me from wearing the dress) and a Beatrix Potter fabric, which felt like burlap. And since it was for a project for my newborn nephew, I was just upset.

      Delete
    2. *quite upset. The coffee is taking its sweet time to work its magic today.

      Delete
  4. Hooray for Haunted Mansion dress! I am a huge Haunted Mansion nerd as well. And I have not been to Disneyland/Disneyworld. Someday.

    I haven't ordered more than a fat quarter to test from Spoonflower. Good to know about the issues with the dye. I wonder if it makes a difference what color you get? Sweetie has actually designed a custom fabric for me I've yet to order.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you're a fan! I remember the entertainment center you made (which was fantastic).

      You're probably right that it depends on the color. Lighter colors would run less, I think. And shades of reds run more than most other colors (blurpligo would have red in it, of course). I would be willing to give it another shot if I found something I really loved.

      Delete