My brother got married last weekend, and I finished my dress with time to spare (very little time to spare, but still a little). I didn't manage to get any pictures of the full outfit, so you'll have to settle for Azzurra as a model. The dress was McCall's 5269, view A. I originally was going to do view B, but changed my mind for no discernible reason.
Sorry that the dress looks so wrinkly. After I wore it, it got crumpled up in the laundry bag on the ride back.
The dress fabric is black glitter satin from the Casa Collection from JoAnn's, which is nearly as heavy as bridal satin. (You might recall that I used the same fabric in blue for my Jareth coat.) The pattern calls for crepe, silk, and and taffetta, which are much lighter. Due to the heaviness, I decided to skip the lining. Then I read the instructions and decided I needed to at least line the bodice and sleeves. I chose a plain black cotton because I try to avoid close-fitting synthetics.
I cut out and constructed the dress (except the bottom hem and sleeves) in an afternoon. Since the lining was made from the same pieces, and I was only lining the bodice and sleeves, it should have taken even less time, right? Of course not. I can't fathom why, but it took a whole afternoon just to cut out the lining, another to construct it, and yet another to attach it to the dress.
This dress has less ease than most patterns. I didn't make a muslin (I so rarely do, and didn't have time for it), but it was stupid of me not to check the finished measurements. For comparison, the plaid dress I just made, which is of a similar fit, from the same company, and I sewed in the same size, had an extra inch of ease in the bust. Though the hip measurement was the same, the plaid dress had sections cut on the bias in the hips, so it stretched a little.
So anyway, this dress was quite tight. (It also didn't help that I ate a whole pizza for lunch the day of the wedding. I jokingly said to Mr Husband that my dress wouldn't fit after that, and then it almost didn't.) It wasn't uncomfortably tight, except in the shoulders and arms. I quite muscular, and it worked against me here. I couldn't really raise my arms much above my waist. If I had had the foresight to check the ease, I probably would have gone up a size.
Also, be wary if you have any chest at all or are self-conscious about decolletage. This dress is a bit low-cut, and tight enough to push everything up and out. Even I had cleavage.
Now, as for the difficulty, I am going to attribute the inexplicably lengthy construction to me freaking out over the deadline. I imagine that if I didn't have a deadline, I could have knocked it off in a weekend. While the yoke lines up to the dress oddly and that took a bit of fiddling, the main body of the dress was pretty easy. It's just princess lines, so it's a matter of snipping your seams appropriately. The pleats in the sleeves were a bit tricky, especially because satin is slippery. It wasn't really hard, but it was time-consuming to get it just right. In fact, it was so time-consuming that I ended up nixing lining the sleeves and hand-sewed the hem up. (So for those of you playing along at home, I went from not lining, to bodice and sleeve lining, to just bodice lining.) So I'm going to rate this as an average-level pattern. If someone who hasn't attained that level wants to tackle this, I would suggest using a non-slippery cotton.
If you choose to use this glitter organza, beware that it sheds its sparkles LIKE CRAZY.