Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Walk Like an Egyptian II: Hat

The hat/crown was the most important part of the costume, IMHO.  I shouldn't have been too hard to draft a pattern myself, but I didn't really feel up to it.  I searched far and wide for a pattern and came up with the long out-of-print Butterick 3587.  The first place I attempted to purchase it from didn't actually have it, and I ended up waiting over a month before they were willing to admit to that.  There were stories of boxes misplaced in a move, warehouses this particular person didn't have the key to, etc.  I ended up purchasing it somewhere else.

Selfie in a poor quality mirror without the flash.  Yes,
this i the best I could do.
Given all I had to go to get this pattern, I was quite disappointed when I received the pattern and found the hat didn't have a top.  This is my fault for not looking at the envelope closely enough, but it was still a letdown.  If still wanted a top for my hat, so I was going to draft one, but then I just gave up.  I could not deal with that challenge in the emotional state I was in at the time.

So.  The gold-red-blue strip on the hat gave me a lot of trouble.  I could not find a gold ribbon that was wide enough except a wired one (which I used), and it didn't hold up well to the machine.  I wanted shallow jewels to sew or glue on it, but I couldn't find any.  The selection at my JoAnn's seems to be decreasing at a rather rapid pace, and it quite upsets me.  I ended up purchasing blue and red ribbon that I slit into strips and sewed on.  I burnt the end of the ribbons and folded them under.  I started with precise measurements and then decided I didn't care anymore, so I just eyeballed it.  Good enough.  I was far more distressed over the gold ribbon not standing up all that well under the machine.

The bottom strip is just more of the same gold ribbon.

The Uraeus is just a piece of gold trim, leftover from my Edgar Allan Poe costume.

This hat is intended to close with hook and loop tape (what most people call Velcro).  Velcro by the hair sounds like a very bad idea.  I used three hooks and eyes instead, and it worked just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment