|The gap is most apparent in the upper right corner|
That wouldn't do at all, so I ripped open the top edges. My intent had been to move the closure and put a patch over the old hole (it was only in the lining, so it would only show when it was open). But when I folded the purse where the fold should have been, the lip hung over the bottom of the purse. So much so that I had to cut off the excess, and with that, the old hole for the closure. So yay, no patch!
Now it came to simply reinsert the closure. I had been concerned the prongs would be difficult to bend back and forth, but it presented no problems. I did, however, reinforce the slits with some heavy-duty interfacing. Due to the stress the closure would be under, I didn't want the closure to pull out of or tear the fabric.
Once I moved the closure, the opening was top-stitched shut. And when I folded it over:
voila, the gap has been eliminated.
NB: this purse calls for a magnetic closure. If you make this and want it to hold your cell phone, MP3 flash drive, etc, you might want to consider a different type of closure, such as a really big button or Velcro.